Our nation is on an unsustainable fiscal path. This is not a matter of ideology. It is simple arithmetic.
To help the nation begin to seriously tackle this challenge, former Senators Sam Nunn (D-GA), Pete Domenici (R-NM), Warren Rudman (R-NH) and Evan Bayh have convened a bipartisan group of former Senators and Representatives to raise public consciousness of the magnitude of the problem. They came together this fall for a series of forums to address the potential consequences, the trade-offs of various solutions and the urgency for action. Their effort is called: Strengthening of America - Our Children's Future.
Four public forums were scheduled to address different aspects of our fiscal challenge. Each of the four forums resembled a Congressional hearing, with high-level former U.S. governement officals providing remarks before a panel of former elected representatives.
More information is available here.
Individual Forums (With Video):
- Wed, 9/12 - Economic and Foreign Policy Implications of America's Debt
- Mon, 9/17 - National Security Consequences of the Debt
- Thu, 9/27 - Pro-Growth Tax Reform
- Mon, 10/1 - The Imperative of Entitlement and Health Care Cost Growth
The Steering Committee for Strengthening of America includes former Members of Congress Howard Baker (R-TN), Bob Bennett (R-UT), David Boren (D-OK), Bill Brock (R-TN), Richard Bryan (D-NV), Mike Castle (R-DE), Jack Danforth (R-MO), Tom Davis (R-VA), Byron Dorgan (D-ND), Mickey Edwards (R-OK), Daniel Evans (R-WA), Bill Frenzel (R-MN), Dan Glickman (D-KS), Slade Gorton (R-WA), Bob Graham (D-FL), William Gray (D-PA), Judd Gregg (R-NH), Chuck Hagel (R-NE), Jane Harman (D-CA), Bennett Johnston (D-LA), Nancy Kassebaum (R-KS), David McCurdy (D-OK), Jim Nussle (R-IA), Tim Penny (D-MN), Chuck Robb (D-VA), Tim Roemer (D-IN), Alan Simpson (R-WY), Charlie Stenholm (D-TX), John Tanner (D-TN), Tom Tauke (R-IA), and Tim Wirth (D-CO).
The effort is a joint project of the following organizations:
- The Concord Coalition
- The Bipartisan Policy Center
- The Center for Strategic and International Studies
- The American Business Conference
- The James A. Baker III Institute for Public Policy at Rice University
- The Hoover Institution at Stanford University
- The Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs at Harvard University
Strengthening of America - Our Children's Future is coordinating with several organizations to call attention to the fiscal challenges threatening America's future.