October 25, 2014

South Brunswick Businessman to Challenge Holt for Congressional Seat

March 7, 2012
Princeton, NJ Patch

Excerpt

"I tend to be fiscally conservative, but I have a partner who's a strong advocate of Obama," he said. "We try to find common goals around serving our customers who have a problem they want us to solve. We have more in common than we have differences, and I try to focus on that. One of the ways we can create value for taxpayers is by respecting the other side and bringing people together."

Beck said the divisiveness currently affecting the country on a number of issues is ultimately pulling attention away from what should be our chief priority, which is economic growth.

"We need to stop this class warfare we're seeing from the other side," he said. "It's un-American. We should be focused on trying to grow the economy and lifting all boats. It's interesting that the modern day Democratic Party is different from the prominent Democrat I worked with in former Sen. Paul Tsongas, who was a great advocate for the business community."

Beck said that while Tsongas believed in more government spending than what he would be comfortable with, they shared the same outlook towards the business community. That outlook, according to Beck, will be vital to speed up the country's economic recovery.

"Tsongas believed in the business community and that you can't be pro-jobs and anti-business at the same time," Beck added. "Unfortunately modern day Democrats, including the president, don't see that. That's why we need a change in this district and a change in the nation, with both parties who respect the business community and don't see them as the enemy. That's not a point of view that will help the poor, it will just make the poor grow poorer."

Related Topics: 12th congressional district, Eric Beck, U.S. Congress, and rush holt

7:40 am on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Yeah right you wanna reach out to the other side.... is that why he resorts to the flat tax and then labels those who disagrees with him as socialist... not the best start Beck. I can't wait till he explains how a flat tax benefits NJ business/ taxpayers. Should be fun.. all the best Eric.

8:25 am on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Patrick my good man....Rush Holt is a socialist and responsible for NJ residents sending more money to Washington and getting little if any back. I wish even another Democrat would challenge him.

I am RIGHT

8:40 am on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

All incumbents must be voted out of office until they are willing to work together. We are sending the wrong message when we continue to re-elect the same people and expect different results. This is not about party, but about effecting real change in Congress. If the electorate sent the "throw the bums out" message to congress, I guarantee they would change. A vote for the incumbent is a vote for MORE OF THE SAME.

8:46 am on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Holt is responsible ? How about New York. PA, Mass etc...why dont you just display your ignorance further...and a socialist. Frankly I'm tired of the term. It's the sign you have no argument against so you label. Holtt is no more socialist then you. End of...

morrigan

10:07 am on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Patrick, you are right. (I am RIGHT is WRONG.)

Many incumbents have been irresponsible and certainly some of them have caused the terrible gridlock our government is experiencing right now. We can hope that the Tea Party incumbents and the Republicans in Democrat clothing will be ousted.

But Rush Holt is truly a Representative of the people of our district. And he is dedicated to doing what is best for America and the American people. No, he is not perfect. No, I don't always agree with him. But I believe he is honest and I believe he deserves yet another term representing me. And us.

NO, Mr. Beck. I do NOT want a businessman running things. Certain businessmen and women are ruining education in New Jersey. Others are depleting the environment. Business is all too often interested in short term profit, not the well-being of people.

This "job creator" thing needs a rest. That is business-speak for "Give me the money and I'll maybe trickle a little down to you." Forget it. Read Naomi Klein's book The Shock Doctrine. And if you care about education, read Diane Ravitch's book The Death and Life of the Great American School System.

At this point the Republican talking points are dangerous to our country. Think Brave New World. Modern day Democrats -- including Rush Holt -- are NOT "anti-business." They just want to prevent a return of the 'Gilded Age' where business held almost all the cards and the rest of the people held next to none.

Joe R

10:58 am on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I agree with Morrigan and Patrick. Any time you hear some right wing GOPer say that he wants smaller government, a flat tax or lower taxes (on the rich), WATCH OUT. Any one remember how Bush said he would be the CEO president and run America like a business? Riiight, he ran America just like ENRON, right into the ground. He cut taxes mainly benefiting the rich and blew a huge hole in the budget creating gigantic deficits. He even cut taxes during a time of war; no other president had done that. Beck is a despicable libertarian Ayn Rand type of right wing GOPer. This is the big problem with the US today: one party has become so extreme, so radical that compromise and congeniality has become impossible. For the record, Francis Bellamy was indeed a socialist, a Christian socialist. He wrote the sermon, Jesus the Socialist and THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE. Holt is not a socialist and he will get my vote. I don't believe in this silly nonsense that you should vote everyone out. Holt is doing a good job and Beck is a radical freak, no contest.

I am RIGHT

11:13 am on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I wouldn't expect you to vote out the Dem. You have never voted for anyone outside the Dem party. 40% like you, 40% like Winston, the remaining 20% determine the election. I choose to be in the 20%.

11:29 am on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I'd vote out an empty shirt Dem in a second, even for a Republican. I lived in NYC for 15 years and voted for the R for congress three times.
But the guy running didn't claim from the git go that the other side was a socialist. Didn't offer a New York/New Jersey economy killing flat tax. While claiming that he wants to work with the other side. Fact is the new 12th is even more blue, and that is the reason Sipprelle didn't run again. This guy is highly unqualified, and is starting off on the wrong note to attract that 20% you speak of... and frankly in the new 12th its more like 45% Dem 30% R and 25% swing. Just look what districts where cut out of the 12th and what was added. and BTW this guy worked with the Concord Coalition last in 1994... a mere placeholder for the R's on the ballot.

11:40 am on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I've asked this before and didn't receive one response....but i did get the usual personal attacks from the left wing loons....

1. Name three bills Holt sponsored and were passed that had a direct and measurable benefits to NJ citizens

2. Name three things Holt has accomplished to improve the quality of life for hardworking middle class NJ residents.

3.Name three initiatives that Holt has achieved in creating jobs and lowering taxes.

Joe R

11:43 am on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

@I am right:
I didn't realize you were in the voting booth with me all these decades that I have been voting. Have you mastered the fine art of invisibility or are you clairvoyant? Patrick is right, Beck is talking out of both sides of his two mouths. In one breath he's talking about congeniality and in the next breath he's red baiting with the socialism charge. Talk about being a lying hypocritical hypocrite. This is the new McCarthyism, calling someone a socialist. It's red meat for the know nothings and the ill informed.

11:52 am on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

JoeR...please answer my questions.

11:51 am on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

JoeR why the personal attackes against Beck? Where's the civil discourse Donna Brazile asked for?

12:23 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

there you go... you ask your questions that suggest you have no idea what a member of Congress actually does, then change the subject...

Look at Beck's linkedin page... then you tell me why I should elect THAT guy over Holt.

I'll say this once. Holt is perhaps one of the most important voices in Congress, His understanding of science is unmatched. He understands that a small start up could lead to profits for the company and the society as a whole. His understanding of energy is not matched in Congress. He understands the debate about fusion as well as carbon emissions. Sure, he's a been geeky. But he is wicked smart and can still explain the most hard to understand concept in science to a lay person. This all means that we have a powerhouse in Congress representing us. Not some empty shirt who sees Congress as a good career path. I saw Rush talk with a very angry tea party member at a community fair. He was rational, and discussed the issue while the person literally shouted the words communist at him. His campaign staff was trying to pull him away, but he held his own, cooly, calmly like a leader.

I'm proud to have Rush Holt as my member of Congress.

12:29 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

So Patrick...based on your response you cannot name one thing he has accomplished as our Congressmen. You are making it easy for people to vote for Beck. The only thing you can come up with is that he talked calmly to a concerned constiuent?

It is you my friend who do not understand the role of our elected officials. Well I am still waiting....answer the question!

12:37 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I did. All of the things I mentioned bring jobs, benefit the state and ultimately lower taxes. Sorry I don't have HR #s memorized. What has Beck done that makes you excited that he is running?

12:13 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Weak on US security..

Voted NO on military border patrols to battle drugs & terrorism. (Sep 2001)
Voted NO on continuing intelligence gathering without civil oversight. (Apr 2006)
Voted NO on federalizing rules for driver licenses to hinder terrorists. (Feb 2005)
Voted NO on continuing military recruitment on college campuses. (Feb 2005)
Voted NO on adopting the recommendations of the 9/11 Commission. (Oct 2004)

Joe R

12:41 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Off the top of your head, can you tell me what Scott Garrett has done for humanity?

2:19 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

To my dear friend JoeR... I am sure you must have made an honest mistake this post is about Beck not Garrett.

Please answer the question what specifically has Holt done?

4:20 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Hmmmm Not sure about all of humanity but its seems like Scott Garrett knows what middle class hardworking NJ taxpayers want…less dependency on countries that want to kill us, cheaper gas and transportation costs!
• Voted YES on opening Outer Continental Shelf to oil drilling. (May 2011)
• Voted YES on barring EPA from regulating greenhouse gases. (Apr 2011)
• Voted NO on keeping moratorium on drilling for oil offshore. (Jun 2006)
• Voted YES on scheduling permitting for new oil refinieries. (Jun 2006)
• Voted YES on authorizing construction of new oil refineries. (Oct 2005)

2:11 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Patrick...please answer my question. I dont care what he said or what you think he said. I want specific things...name them...that he has accomplished. I want proof that he is doing his rather than him or you saying he did his job.

2:28 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

More proof that Holt says one thing but does another when it comes to reducing the cost of healthcare for the average hard working private sector employee. It seems he votes for increase costs and to support trial lawyers more than for NJ residents!

• Voted NO on limiting medical malpractice lawsuits to $250,000 damages. (May 2004)
• Voted NO on allowing reimportation of prescription drugs. (Jul 2003)
• Voted NO on small business associations for buying health insurance. (Jun 2003)
• Voted NO on capping damages & setting time limits in medical lawsuits. (Mar 2003)
• Voted NO on subsidizing private insurance for Medicare Rx drug coverage. (Jun 2000)
• Voted NO on establishing tax-exempt Medical Savings Accounts. (Oct 1999)

3:04 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Patrick my friend,
Thanks for proving the point Rush Holt must GO! The link you provided proves the case that he has accomplished nothing in his tenure as our Congressman. For him to use these crumbs as proof of accomplishments further shows his disconnect with taxpayers trying to pay their bills, keep their jobs and take care of their families.
1. Over 42,000 letters that he personally read and responded to? That’s over 40 per day 365 days a year…physically impossible. Plus how can he do this while watching Jeopardy?
2. He visited a school garden, a local business and a couple of high schools? These are not accomplishments they are well…things he did to get a photo op to help him get reelected.
3. He helped only one resident…one…. with a $3,500 tax refund. What about all of our tax dollars going to DC and we get the lowest return of any state. And he takes credit for $3,500 is he serious?
4. Expedited a residents passport – “A” resident…”one” resident…is he serious???

Please answer my question…what has Holt done for NJ taxpayers?

3:35 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Do you really want to argue about what Dems have done for NJ taxpayers in Washington Vs R's? cause I'm afraid its a pretty easy debate. R's did nothing but bitch and moan about anything else but jobs... their biggest issue beating Obama, which they can't even do. ohh and crap all over the republican pushed health reform bill... that the Dems and Obama passed... now they call it socialism and whatever the Luntz talking point is that week. The right has become a the place where good ideas go to die. Just watch any of the R debates. You'd think it was 1952...
you can moan all you like about Rush, but you have nothing to offer. There is no big idea from the right.
Its all tried and true failed ideas from the 80's ,,,, the world has changed. what does the right stand for?

Joe R

3:23 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I answered the questions about Rush Holt more than a year ago when Winston was Steve, when he was white. Now as Winston, he's black. I answered all your questions more than a year ago and you just blew it off as nothing because you are a rabid irrational knee-jerk Holt hater. There's no reasoning with you, Winston/Steve. This is deja vue all over again. I demand to know what did Rush Holt ever do!! Answer my questions, ANSWER MY QUESTIONS, I AM THE IMPERIAL winston, attention must be paid! Blah, blah, blah. If Rush Holt could walk on water and solve the national debt single-handedly, Winston/Steve would still attack, attack and attack some more.

3:39 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Thanks for not answering the question and launching personal attacks!

WHY CANT YOU JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION?

3:41 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Patrick the issue is what has Holt done. Why are you changing the subject and nstead attacking Republicans?

WHY CANT YOU JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION?

7:57 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Do I look like his congressional aid? I'm a citizen in his district. I've met him, talked with him. I admire the way he votes. I believe that his votes help bring innovation and business to Central New Jersey. I think his office does a great job at constituent services. I like that he is a voice for new energy. A leader. You want me to list bills... I will freely admit I don't follow congress that closely. I've answered you several times and on many different posting here on Patch. What don't you understand. I asked you why Beck would be better, you ignored me. He is an empty suit. An IT process guy by training. The guys that nobody likes in the private sector because they hide behind corporate rules and never think creatively. You seem to have an issue that Princeton teachers like Holt. To me that says that some of the smartest people in our district like him, and that says something to people who like to think critically.

You wanna talk issues, lets talk issues. You wanna be small minded at piddle around word play, I'm not interested.

I am RIGHT

3:44 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

It will be great to have a South Brunswick resident in Congress.

3:57 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Agreed...better than someone who only cares about Princeton University...Holts biggest donor!

I am RIGHT

3:47 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

This could be the beginning of new members on the town council as well.
If what Congress is doing isn't working, isn't it time for a change? Why is everyone afraid of change?

Joe R

4:30 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Oh, how wonderful, a change for the worse. Whoopee. Talk about ideology. I am right has the right wing ideology down pat. Holt is a great congressman doing a great job and you want to dump him for some regressive super right wing dork who spouts all the Tea Party nonsense. Trickle down never worked, it was an abject failure. Lowering taxes on the rich lead to the crash of 2008 and 9% unemployment. You show your true colors, I am right. Why would you be gleeful for a demagogue like Beck? Are you an Ayn Rand fan?

I am RIGHT

4:37 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Interesting to get your perspective. I believe in voting out the do-nothing congress, no matter their party affiliation. If you thing I'm right-wing, then what's W/SFK? Or I guess anyone disagreeing with you is right-wing. You think the congress has done a good job? I don't.............VOTE THEM OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5:20 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I am RIGHT...I agree with you 100%!

7:59 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

If you vote them all out you'll end up with morons like the guy who shouted down his own coffee and then kicked them out of a public restaurant. You'll get hacks, empty suits. Sure there are losers in Congress on both sides. And you need to dump THEM. As a Dem I don't like Andrews. I think he's a sell out.

Can you name one R you'd dump in NJ?

4:33 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

JoeR - Why cant you prove or support your delusion that "Holt is a great congressman doing a great job." I posted facts showing he has accomplished NOTHING and his own office cannot find ONE accomplishment that has helped the citizens of South Brunswick.

morrigan

5:48 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I am RIGHT, have you ever heard the expression, "throwing the baby out with the bath water?"

There are SOME do-nothing Congresspeople in Washington. There are EVEN MORE do-something-that-hurts-America Congresspeople. I agree that we should get rid of them.

But there are experienced, moderate, thoughtful Congresspeople who should retain their seats. They're the ones who know the ropes in Washington and they know how to negotiate and get things done.

Despite Winston's 'facts' -- most of which are more accurately misrepresentations -- Rush Holt has the best interests of his constituents in mind. And the best interests of our country. I want someone who values intelligence, honesty and fairness to represent me in Congress. And that is Rush Holt.

8:40 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

morrigan

9:14 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Besides which, the votes you are talking about took place from 1999 to 2004. That represents the first third of his time as our Congressman. It is now 2012. He has cast over 9,000 votes since entering Congress.

As I said, I do not always agree with him. But he really thinks about these bills and votes according to what he believes is right. And he communicates with his constituents. Even when he and I disagree, after I hear his explanation, I have to agree that he has some valid points!

9:37 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Morrigan...can we please stop trying to avoid answering my questions? It seems all of the Holt supporters either attack the messenger, claim that Holt had a reason to cast votes that hurt his constituents or avoid addressing the issue that he hasn't accomplished any tangible initiatives that have made a positive difference in our lives.

Please answer my questions!

9:52 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Winston, I'll answer any question you ever have about Holt if you can contextualize each and every vote you post here... what where the riders on the bills etc etc... All you do is go to a web site find the stuff you don't agree with and paste it. How is that demonstrating any sort of nuance of intellectual understanding. It just shows that you know right vs left.
I'm willing to debate any of those votes with you one any point if you just mention the HR#... But you can't do that can you. anything I post anything here that challenges you you retort with a childish answer the question moan.
are you man enough to really talk issues or do you only participate in pissing contests.

Joe R

9:41 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Vote all the bums out is a mindless bumper sticker. Each election is unique, the match up of candidates is also unique. I vote based on the particular candidates, their records and what they have to say. I will not be ruled by some mindless slogan or bumper sticker (Vote all dem bums out, hiccup - sounds like the rantings of boozed up bar room habitues). It's a case by case situation; to be hide bound and limited by a slogan is ridiculous. Holt is an effective intelligent congressman, he deserves to be returned to office. We have a duopoly, we have only 2 parties to choose from. The GOP has gone off the cliff into crazy land. It has morphed into a radical far right wing party. The Democratic party has become a moderate middle of the road party with just a few actual liberals or progressives left. I wish we had more choices. We don't need any more right wing parties because the GOP fits that bill and then some. But we do need an actual liberal, progressive workers party. We don't have that now. The Democrats give lip service to unions but have not done much in the way of union legislation. So you vote for the lesser of the evils in too many cases or don't vote and allow some Tea bagger/Ayn Randian/libertarian freakazoid gain office. No contest, I will vote for Holt who is not a lesser candidate...he's very good.

9:45 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

JoeR,

You are consistent...teachers, union members, democrat town council members and do nothing, accomplish nothing Democrati congressman get your support and vote because of blind politics rather than rational and critical thinking.

I am RIGHT

10:27 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

We need to change the behavior in Washington. If our "leaders" know they have to work or risk losing their jobs, they will learn to compromise. Then you can go back to evaluating candidates and voting accordingly. I don't care the party I'm voting all incumbents out.

10:29 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Patrick...I am trying to remain civil but you and the Holt supporters refuse to answer the three questions I posted. Rather than change the subject and/or "move the cheese" can you simply answer the questions?

11:02 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I'm beginning to think you have an old computer ( I am being nice as well), or are using a browser that keeps displaying cached versions of this page(arrrrgh). hopefully you can read this.

try reloading and seeing what I have already said, if you don't see the answers you desire, pick a vote, any vote by Holt. and tell me first why you disagree with it, and give me a HR# and I will respond. I promise only to stick to the context of that vote.

cheers Winston. Although if you are gonna name yourself after an English pol, I'd suggest you go for NickG.

11:10 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

We should take on the merits of H.R. 3818: Revolutionary War and War of 1812 Battlefields Commemorative Coin Act of 2012... Look Rush even gives the gold crowd a coin to buy, and if you live in Georgia you can even pay your taxes with them. See he is a forward thinker.... I'd love to see you guys talk with actual pols.

morrigan

11:00 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I am RIGHT:

We do need to change the behavior in Washington. Toss out the obstructionists.

As Joe said, voting all incumbents out is not a good idea. Really -- would you be willing to undergo surgery if all the surgeons in the hospital were first-year doctors? Would you choose for your kids to go to a school where all the teachers are first-year teachers? Would you go to have your car fixed at a place where all the mechanics were first-year mechanics?

Well, I do not want my laws made by a Congress full of first-year Congresspeople. Experience and knowhow count for something. And there are some members of Congress who deserve reelection. Rush Holt is one of them.

morrigan

11:10 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Winston.

I did answer your questions,

Here's what you wrote: "Morrigan....misrepresentations? All I did was post his voting record and address propaganda published by his own office...how can you claim they are misrepresentations?"

I wrote: "Well, what I mean by misrepresentation is taking a part of something and representing it as the whole thing.

For example, a bill may contain a rider that is unacceptable -- like anti-environmental provisions that were attached to a must-pass spending bill in 2011. Rush Holt had good reasons for opposing those bills you mentioned. Perhaps you ought to look into them."

I consider that an answer. And by the way, those votes helped more constituents than they might have hurt.

11:12 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I think Winston is actually a parrot. Cause he just says the same crap over and over... and when you ask HIM anything he just ignores it...

11:30 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Well I rest my case...the best that the Holt supporters could come up with is that he visited a school, voted to increase our dependency on foreign oil, screwed small business owners, raise taxes and didn't answer questions from a distraught constituent. Well if that doesn't deserve our vote what does! Not even the most left wing of all his supporters could even build a rational case to justify him being in congress.

Beck for congress...actually anybody but Holt!

11:45 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2012

really... don't you wanna talk about "Voted YES on opening Outer Continental Shelf to oil drilling." ... come on Winston. you could out wit me on that.. right.

5:57 am on Thursday, March 8, 2012

Winston yawns as his dimwitted opponent doesnt even realize that it's been over 12 hours and he still can't find one thing to support his blind love and suppoert for Holt the do nothing parasite in congress.